Here are some quick facts about America’s contemporary military and the issues these men and women are facing:
- The number of homeless female veterans (about 6,500) has doubled in the last decade.
- Women are believed to be 4 times as likely to be homeless as men according to the VA.
- There are an estimated 1000 suicide attempts per month by veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.
- The divorce rate, already high, is double for women in the military compared to men.
- Many veterans don’t even think of themselves as veterans.
- PTSD is the leading cause of homelessness and associated substance abuse.
- There are still more than 70,000 troops scheduled to return home.